Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes

A couple of weeks ago I woke up on a Sunday morning starving, and with no idea what it was that I wanted to eat. BF was very quick to suggest pancakes, and pointed out that there was a punnet of blueberries in the fridge. Problem solved. I'm not one to say no to pancakes, and definitely think they are better with fruit involved, either cooked in or served on top. My exception to this is when I am hungover - then they MUST be served with bacon, fried eggs and maple syrup!!
This recipe is just a modified version of a classic pancake recipe and will serve 4. Basically, you can just use whatever pancake recipe you usually use, and mix in a handful or so of blueberries before you rest the batter. This recipe is especially good for people that are not big fans of blueberries, like BF. He doesn't really eat fresh blueberries, but just try and keep him away from these!

2 cups plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 and 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
60g butter, melted and cooled
1 punnet fresh blueberries
extra butter, for cooking
Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Whisk together the milk, eggs and butter, and stir into the flour mixture. Stir in the blueberries, cover and allow batter to stand for at least 15 minutes.
Heat a pan over medium heat and pop in a small knob of butter. Pour batter into pan (to desired pancake size) and cook over medium-low heat until small bubbles appear on surface. Flip and cook other side until the pancake is cooked through. Remove to a plate, cover with foil and keep warm in oven at about 150C until all batter is cooked. Serve with lemon and sugar (me), or maple syrup(BF).
Recipe modified from taste.com.au (recipe no longer available on that site - good thing I had a print-out!)

8 comments:

  1. Those pancakes look absolutely delicious! I never get to make blueberry pancakes as my husband always gobbles down the blueberries but I think if I show him these pics I might convince him otherwise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pancakes, but I've never tried them with blueberries. Sounds easy enough, so I guess I'll give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorraine - I guess I am lucky that BF isn't the biggest of fans. Raspberries are his weakness - he won't let me cook with them because he likes them better plain!

    Geri - thanks for reading! Once you try these, you will be hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh a fellow pancake, bacon and maple syrup lover! Yay!

    I've tagged you for the 6 random things meme. Hope you'll join in the fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just can't beat blueberry pancakes. They look delicious.

    The gingerbread cookies down below look really tasty and pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen - I was very wary of the pancake/bacon/egg/maple syrup to start with - but am so glad that I tried it! Thanks for the tag!

    Pam - thanks! The gingerbread are growing on me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blueberry pancakes are perfect for Sunday breakfast, hungover or not! LOL

    ReplyDelete